Thursday, November 1, 2007

Somewheres in this universe there's a place that you can call home

Hi everyone!! Just so you all know, I'm back in Iraq after my leave. It was pretty good, all things considered. I saw two Bob Dylan shows, which were both fantastic.
leave all started by me going to Kuwait to catch a charter to Atlanta. We flew a USAF C-130 from Iraq to Kuwait, which is extremely uncomfortable, if you've never ridden in cargo net seats before. We're also packed in like sardines, so it's doubly uncomfortable.
Afer landing in Kuwait, we were taken to the Army base within the airbase, and got all of our necessary briefings and itineraries, and were released. I, personally, went and watched a couple of movies at the MWR and relaxed a bit. The next day we prepared to go home.
In order to go home, you have to pass through customs here in Kuwait, which is run by the Navy. It's good to see that they're making such a notable contribution to the war, by not letting us take anything cool home. They line everyone up, and make you x-ray your bags, then dump them. After they rummage through your stuff for a bit, they make you repack it, and then they x-ray your carry-on one more time. Then you can chill, in a sterile security zone, of course. They call it the "Freedom Zone."


It's kind of ironic, since when you turn around, you see this:


It's like a prison! Freedom? Not! Anyway, it's just for a few hours, and they have movies and drinks and a Pizza Hut.

everyone lined up for customs

Next. they herd everyone onto a bus, and you ride to the airport to get on a plane home, which is very similar to the rickety old MD-11 that we rode here to begin with.

Anyway, I made it to Atlanta, and then to Cincinnati, where mom and I went to lunch and I had my first beer in nine months. It was fantastic!
I also found a new apartment when I was home, so I'll show everybody some of the pictures I took of it. Keep in mind that I am going to repaint, and the previous tenants left some junk in there. They left in a whirlwind, a la the Browns in '96. Here you go:


That's the entrance hall. The corner rail on the left is the wall that leads to the bathroom, and there's a coat closet behind me and to the left. The first door on the right is the bedroom, and the second is the kitchen. the first on the left is the living room, and the second is the dining room. It's a pretty good size place.


This is the bedroom. That is a Rookwood fireplace. Since the building was built in the twenties, Rookwood decorations are quite prevalent. I hate that brown color. I am leaning toward a blue, and none of that furniture will be there. You can't see it, but out those windows and downstairs is a cool little courtyard, good for grilling, except the food has to be carried up three stories. No big deal, stairs are good for you!


This is the living room. I am going to put my giant TV in the bay recess, and get dome good drapes to limit glare. This room, and the dining room, is on the western side of the building, so it gets good afternoon sun. It's about 4:45 PM in early October in these shots, so I should have good sun all winter long, when the sun decides to shine in Cincinnati.


This is the living room again, looking into the dining room. (That's mom and Kris, the property manager) Note the pocket doors. Cool, huh?


Here's more of the dining room. Nothing to special about it, it's just a big square-ish room. Another fireplace, but neither of them are operational.


And lastly, the kitchen. It's big enough to eat in. There's a good size pantry, and I might take the door off, for ease of access, but I'll see how that plays out after I've gotten some cook-time in. it's actually even big enough for me to put my kitchen work table/butcher block in as an island, and still have a table off to one side, by the windows (behind me and to my right). Establishing a good work triangle is important in a kitchen (storage, range, and workspace). I plan on doing some entertaining. If you noticed, there are trees outside the windows in the living and dining room. That's Washington park, which is the only thing that separates me from Cincinnati Music Hall, home of the Symphony, Pops and Opera. I am also a block from Ensemble Theatre, four blocks from Shakespeare, and six blocks from work. Findlay Market is five blocks or so to the north, and I can ride the bus for free to school. I only plan on driving my car on rare occasions. Did I mention there's a YMCA two blocks away, and the Tower Place gym is six blocks away? It's fantastic! Anyway, my address will be as follows:

Michael Muntifering
1202 Race St #7
Cincinnati, OH 45202

The first party will probably be in late February or early March, when I have a housewarming gala. I'll keep you all posted. I'm under ninety days left!

No comments: